What happens if a dog eats Orbeez?

If a dog eats Orbeez, it may expand in its stomach, leading to a potential intestinal obstruction. The beads are pretty tiny at the point of ingestion.

Orbeez are small, colorful, water-absorbing beads that are popular as a sensory toy for children. However, with their bright colors and squishy texture, they may also be tempting for our furry friends. If you have a dog at home, you may be wondering what would happen if they by mistake ingest Orbeez.

As per PetDogOwner, Orbeez has the potential to swell up in the stomach, leading to an obstruction or blockage.

This article explores the dangers and results of a dog eating Orbeez and explains what to do if it happens.

What Are Orbeez?

Orbeez are small, non-toxic polymer beads that can absorb up to 100 times their weight in water. Orbeez are soft, squishy toys for kids. They come in different colors. People also use Orbeez in flower arrangements and as decorations in vases.

Are Orbeez Safe for Dogs? Are orbeez toxic to dogs?

Dog playing with Orbeezby Pauline Loroy (https://unsplash.com/@paulinel)

Orbeez are safe for dogs. They are not toxic and do not have harmful chemicals.

However, this does not mean that they are suitable for dogs to play with or ingest. Orbeez does not have a design as a dog toy and can pose a choking hazard if swallowed.

In addition, Orbeez can soak up water and become bigger in a dog’s stomach. This could cause problems with their digestion.

Especially concerning for small dogs or those with digestive issues!!!

What Happens if a Dog Eats Orbeez Toys?

If a dog eats Orbeez, the small balls can grow bigger inside their stomach. This can make the dog feel uncomfortable and could cause problems by blocking the digestive tract.

This can result in symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite.

The need for surgery to remove the blockage could arise.

Signs of Digestive Tract Obstruction

When your dog has a blockage in their digestive system, you will begin to notice signs as the stuff in their intestines builds up.

A lot of these signs stem from stomach and intestinal issues.

Such signs can be throwing up and discomfort in the abdomen. Your pup may find it hard to defecate owing to the obstruction. Their belly might get tender and they could whimper or exhibit aggression when you try to touch their belly.

Also, behavior-related signs of digestive tract obstruction exist.

Signs include agitation, whimpering, reduced appetite, and dehydration possibility.

The Story of Dale

Dale Fisher, a 12-year-old boy, was fond of his dog, Prince. They rushed Prince to the veterinary clinic when he fell gravely sick and discovered that Orbeez caused it.

The specific Orbeez that Prince swallowed was initially small, roughly 3mm in size. However, when it came into contact with water or stomach acid, it could expand to the size of a golf ball.

Prince had a stuck Orbeez ball in his intestine. According to Dale, Prince was lethargic, consistently vomiting, and seemed devoid of life, leading to their trip to the vet.

The vet found a lump in Prince’s lower abdomen. To remove the Orbeez, Prince had to undergo major surgery. The vet clarified that if the Orbeez had grown bigger, it could have caused Prince’s death.

Prince has since fully recovered, but to alert other pet owners, Dale is sharing his experience. Although Orbeez may seem innocuous, they can cause serious damage to your dog if ingested.

What to Do if Your Dog Eats Orbeez

If you suspect that your dog has eaten Orbeez, it is important to act quickly. Here are the steps you should take:

  1. Monitor your dog’s behavior: Keep an eye on your dog for any signs of discomfort or distress. If they start showing symptoms such as vomiting or diarrhea, contact your animal doctor immediately.
  2. Check for any remaining Orbeez: If you can, try to determine how many Orbeez your dog may have ingested. This will help your animal doctor determine the best course of action.
  3. Do not make the dog throw up if it eats Orbeez. This is different from other toxins, so it’s not a good idea to make them vomit.
  4. This is because the beads can expand in the stomach and potentially cause more harm.
  5. If your dog is acting sick or you don’t know how many Orbeez they ate, call your vet for help.
  6. They may recommend bringing your dog in for an examination or monitoring them at home.

Inducing Vomiting

If your canine companion has ingested Orbeez recently, inducing vomit is advisable. Usually, you can induce vomiting if it’s within two hours of your dog consuming something harmful.

In this instance, quick action is essential. Orbeez grow in water in about 4 hours, but we don’t know how they will expand in your dog’s stomach.

If they expand substantially before you induce vomiting, your dog could choke while trying to vomit them out.

Aim to induce vomiting in your dog within 1 to 2 hours after it has ingested Orbeez.

You can use a common household item, 3% hydrogen peroxide, to induce vomiting.

When ingested, hydrogen peroxide decomposes into hydrogen and water in the stomach. This reaction causes it to froth and foam, similar to when applied to a wound.

The resultant foam will cause your dog’s stomach to feel overly full. In response to discomfort, the stomach will naturally expel its contents to ease the unease.

To make your dog vomit, administer 1 teaspoon of peroxide for every 10 pounds of their body weight. Taking them for a walk post-ingestion can hasten this process.

Generally, vomiting occurs 15 to 30 minutes after consuming peroxide. If your dog doesn’t vomit within 45 minutes, you may repeat this procedure once.

Anticipate some disorder. Your canine might persist in throwing up for approximately 45 minutes once it begins. This procedure is better than the complications, even though it’s not pleasant.

Preventing Your Dog from Eating Orbeez

Dog playing with dog toy, dog eats Orbeezorbeez and dogs by Jan Gustavsson (https://unsplash.com/@ageror)

To stop your dog from swallowing Orbeez, simply store them in a spot that your dog cannot get to. If you have children who play with Orbeez, make sure to clean up any spilled beads and store them in a secure location.

Keep an eye on your dog while they play with toys to stop them from swallowing small things.

For dog toys, choose ones made for their safety and fit for purpose.0

Lots of dog toys that are tough and safe for dogs to play with and chew on exist.

Alternatives to Orbeez for Dogs

If you are looking for a sensory toy for your dog, there are many safe and suitable options available. Here are a few alternatives to Orbeez that your dog may enjoy:

  • Kong toys: Fill these durable rubber toys with treats or peanut butter for a fun and engaging playtime.
  • Squeaky toys: Many dogs love the sound of a squeaky toy and can spend hours playing with them.
  • Tug toys: Tug-of-war is a great game for dogs and can help strengthen their jaw muscles.
  • Dogs like to chew things, so giving them chew toys can satisfy this need and stop them from chewing on stuff around the house.

In Summary

Orbeez is generally safe for dogs. However, humans do not intend for dogs to play with them. If swallowed, they can be dangerous.

If your dog eats Orbeez, watch them closely and call your vet for help.

To stop your dog from eating Orbeez, keep them out of their reach. Give them safe toys to play with instead.

By taking these precautions, you can ensure your dog stays happy and healthy.

Author Profile

Ana Carter
Ana Carter
A a mom of three lovely pups. Love shopping, travelling and puppies. Also a bloggers of a page of tips for keeping pups happy, healthy and well-behaved.

Leave a comment