Found My Dogs Eating Chicken Bones – What Is The Right Thing To Do?
Have you ever woken up one morning thinking how delicious your dinner last night was? It was a lovely dinner with your family and the buffalo chicken wings your mother brought are the bomb; they were super delicious!
As you were daydreaming, you hear something in your trash bin. When you turn around, you found out that these were your dogs eating chicken bones left last night. What should you do?
You will probably think that bones are a good source of calcium and other minerals anyway, at least they were not eating chocolates. Plus, you know that raw chicken bones are quite beneficial for your dogs.
But wait, these are cooked chicken bones that they are eating! Is this good or bad?
Well, I’ve been in this situation before and I find myself asking, “should I stop my dogs or not?”
What is the right thing to do?
What To Do When Your Dogs Eat Chicken Bones?
No matter how I give my dogs the perfect chew, they always find their way scavenging on the trash bin.
Unfortunately, allowing them to eat leftovers, particularly cooked chicken bones, may result in several injuries, and worst of all, death. Since the cooked bones are naturally dry and get easily brittle, your dog will be able to disintegrate it without any difficulty. The bone will break into very sharp shards that may bring painful cuts to their mouth and gums, which will lead to choking or even internal injuries such as punctured stomach or intestines.
So if you will ever find your dogs eating chicken bones, you should do these things immediately:
1. Don’t panic
The moment I saw my dogs enjoying last night’s leftovers, I was tempted to hastily remove the trash bin where the chicken bones are. But I reminded myself not to panic!
And please don’t hit your dogs for doing this. Just remove the trash bin slowly and keep it away from them.
2. Let the dog drop the bones
This is one of the reasons why it is very important to know the ways how to get your dog to follow you. If your dogs are now munching on the bones, give them instruction to drop it. Don’t forget to praise them for listening.
Help your dog pass chicken bones.If your dog has succeeded in eating the chicken bones, all you can do now is to be proactive. Give your dog soft foods like few slices of bread, cooked rice or mashed potato; these foods will serve as a cushion to the sharp bone fragments as they pass through the intestinal tract of your dog.
3. Do not induce vomiting
The next thing I was tempted to do was to force my dogs to throw up, this seems to me was a natural solution. But I realised I might cause more damage by making them vomit, especially that the bones are sharp.
So what I did was observing for any signs that the bone might have lodged in their throats. The signs could be:
- Salivating or frequent licking of lips
- Anxious behaviour, can’t keep still.
- Keeps on drinking a lot of water
4. Call the vet
Since my dogs did not show any signs mentioned above, I called my vet to make things sure. The doctor advised me to keep watching my dogs. A wait-and-see method will help me determine if the bones have caused any problems to my pets.
So I watched my dogs vigilantly for these potential signs:
- Breathing shallowly
- Constantly stretching
- Signs of pain
- Bloody stool
- Trouble defecating
- Loss of appetite
- Rectal bleeding
Good thing my dogs did not show any of these signs, but if your dog does, don't hesitate to contact your veterinarian as soon as possible. They may need an x-ray to know if there are pieces of bones that are causing a serious problem. There will also be a speedy treatment that will help increase the chances of your dog to fully recover.
If worse comes to worst, the vet might recommend surgery to correct punctures, impactions and blockages.
Now that you know how a small bone of chicken can cause severe problems to your dogs, I suggest that you avoid any situation wherein your dog will be able to access these bones. This is why I regularly dispose food waste properly, I don’t want is to see my dogs eating chicken bones again. It’s absolutely heartbreaking to see my pet best friend in pain.